27/02/2008

Friends, filipinos, countrymen... sort of :)

The first time I was there last week (for lunch), they both looked at me kinda funny. The lady behind the cash register was suspicious, and so was the chef, and so was I. There was something vaguely familiar about the shape of the noses. But the sushi was delicious. On the small side, but to their credit I must say that it was a perfect bite-size (not gag-size like most other places in town), a varied plate with more than the boring 'standard' pieces, and the prices modest.

So yesterday on the way home from work, I veered to the right instead of straight home and through the glass door with the jangly bell attached to it. They instinctively saluted my entrance with a slight backward toss of the jaw, but I'm not sure if they registered it themselves.

I ordered eight pieces, just like the last time. While I waited they eyed me suspiciously again, but not in a menacing way. They murmured amongst themselves and my suspicions were confirmed. At the same time, a number of women entered the place with a jangle of the doorbell, and they also looked at me a bit longer than you usually would at a stranger. When asked if I wanted sesame seeds on my order, I said yes and then with a slightly strained accent:

"Salamat po."

The veil fell from their eyes and I was immediately engaged in a conversation in tagalog, which I sadly had to get out of immediately because I don't speak the language. But the mystery was, ergo, solved. The owners of the new sushi place on my street ARE filipinos. And they were, if not impressed with my scanty vocabulary, at least suitably impressed when I said my Mom was from the Lingayen province. The entire Sushi family (this is my name for them, not theirs) were very happy to meet even a half-countrywoman (or whatever I count as, blood being thicker etc etc... In Sweden, this semi-kinship is a comparatively big deal.)

I promised I'd come back often, since I live so close, and was informed that my blood line entitled me to extra nigiri next time (which felt weird, but it was a friendly gesture).

When I arrived home I discovered that they'd sneaked me a friendly discount when they gave me change... So now, I have a sushi-mafia. I must endorse them.

So everybody go to Yoshi sushi bar (Gibraltargatan 40-something) and support my local Filipinos. They make good sushi. :)

Count on my people to know how to handle rice perfectly... ;)

1 comment:

  1. NICE. This is a fun post! I like the idea of a sushi mafia.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's what, please.

Les visiteurs du monde

free counters

Feel free to leave a comment just about anywhere. Carry on.