03/07/2007

Copenhagen, Malmö and Ru, part III

Sunday 1/7

08:59:
I am the only one up, having decided to go to church in Malmö. I learn eventually that I need to walk for 26 minutes to get there.

10:42:
Mass has ended, and I totally surprise one of the nuns with my presence. Sister Mary Jo used to live in Gbg and hasn’t seen me since I was in high school. We take a picture together outside the church.


12:16:
Eva, Jen and I take a bus into Malmö and head for Västra Hamnen and the apartment Expo from 2001 (meaning that we took a million photos of cool condominium buildings, mostly with Turning Torso in the background). We conclude that living there must require some exhibitionistic aspirations from the residents, since their houses, garages and dirty laundry are constantly being photographed by tourists.





17:44:
Eva and I are on the train back to Göteborg. We have to be back before 8 pm.
Beside us, a middle-aged couple are reading a different novel each by Milan Kundera, and taking notes. The woman has thick, black hair and a Stockholm accent worthy of a gallery owner. We wander off to buy coffee.

20:45:
Eva, Lars, Daniel and I are queuing, with orange tickets in hand, at Trädgårn for the Rufus Wainwright concert. We talk about chartreuse, the fact that none of us has actually really listened to Rufus Wainwright before, and mini-golf.

21:17:
We see something small and beautiful: a couple in the middle of the crowd, dancing slowly to a ballad. We have a feeling that the man, who is wearing a beard and a red t-shirt, might be blind.

22:00:
Rufus Wainwright’s voice, show, band and pinstripe suit are all knock-dead amazing. He tells us that it’s hot in Trädgårn, and he’s damn right. He sends the audience out on a break so he can “change into shorts”. When we come back, he’s wearing tailored lederhosen, and my opinion of this article of clothing (fueled by the memory of the Austrian wedding) has eternally been changed for the better. Really.



23:13:
Rufus’s band does the classiest gradual sortie we have ever seen, ending with the banjo dude playing solo on stage. Later, they all come back and perform a musical number worthy of the 40’s, with Ru sporting tights, lipstick and glittery clip-on earrings. Damn, that man has a stage persona.

00:12:
I really should practise better sleeping habits. This is the earliest I've gone to bed in weeks. But I love being alive right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's what, please.

Les visiteurs du monde

free counters

Feel free to leave a comment just about anywhere. Carry on.