[Whistle blows]
Coach: OK, time to regroup. What exactly do you think it is you're doing?
Me: ...Sorry. The writing keeps getting away from me. There's so little left until I'm finished but... ugh, my brain is made of chewing gum.
Coach: Well, you're keeping all of yourself stuck here at the office for no good reason if you don't finish that paper and send it to your co-authors.
Me: True.
Coach: All right, can we at least agree that you need to finish before you go home?
Me: Sure.
Coach: Say that you want it.
Me: OK, I want it.
Coach: No, no, that won't do, you're just trying to placate me. DO you want it?
Me: I... I don't know, I'm not feeling it.
Coach: And we both know that with two weeks left...
Me: Uugh. Shut uuuup.
Coach: Hey. Listen. Listen. Now concentrate. Picture the finished thing. Picture that...
Me: [zoning out, hearing tune] What's in your heee-ead, in your he-e-e-ead...
Coach: HEY. STOP. COME BACK TO ME.
Me: Um?
Coach: Look at your fingertip. The index one on the right.
Me: [looking at fingertip]
Coach: Now close your eyes for a minute. HARD. Now imagine the feeling when you press 'send'. DO IT.
Me: [closing eyes and feeling tingling in fingertip]
Coach: Now tell me what it was like.
Me: I... it was relaxed. A staccato movement, my whole hand lifted when I pressed the button. ... My shoulders relaxed. I felt light.
Coach: Very good. Now can you tell me the things you KNOW you wrote in those last few sections?
Me: I... Ok, first I wrote summaries of what's in the diagrams... General patterns, similarities and differences between my interview groups. And then I compared the findings to some literature that's already in my other article. I added TWO more references... And then I hand-wrote the Implications list by hand before typing. It was full of arrows.
Coach: THERE you go. So now you've done it once already.
Me: Hm. Yeah. Sort of.
Coach: WELL WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR! Get out there and do it again, this time with feeling!
[Whistle blows and the game resumes]
15/02/2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what's what, please.