16/08/2007

Silly concert hang-up...

Oh me. I recently noticed that I have a strange hang-up, or personal pet peeve, that is beginning to disrupt my ability for music appreciation.

For most of my life, I have danced - and as many of you know, tap dance is possibly one of the few requited loves of my life. ;) However, having spent so much time recently at concerts (where quite a few have made me want to dance, or at least dig) no matter how great the music is, my thoughts keep getting invaded by one troubling thought:

THE LEFT! MUST USE THE LEFT!!

I was 'raised' initially by a fantastic and inspiring tap teacher who unfortunately was a bit sloppy on us practising technique in equal amounts on both feet. My right is my automatic beatkeeper - as a result, my left foot is considerably slower and gets tired more quickly... And since I love improv, it's kind of frustrating when I can 'sing' as I please with my right foot, but have to make a conscious effort to use the left (which I would have called a pain in the ass, had it been higher up).

So in the middle of concerts, where I am blissfully diggin' to the beat (right foot effortlessly keeping the 2's and 4's down pat), my conscience can suddenly kick in and make me
switch to my left foot. This only lasts for so long at a time, but it's beginning to get ridiculous.

I guess I'm getting jittery and excited because I'm so impatient to start taking tap classes again, for the first time in... wow, over 6 years. The same teacher who taught me to love tap improv, is going to start teaching again... Aaaah... :)

Otherwise, Eva and Lars have successfully converted me into a fan of Swedish Reggae, specifically Kapten Röd. Nice party vibe going on at their Kulturkalaset (= the Gothenburg Cultural Festival) concert yesterday, which we followed up by watching Australian Dancers "Strange Fruit" sway around on flexible poles.


Some Kulturkalaset photos:



More here

Finally, I may have made the biggest mistake (?) of my life by being persuaded to join Facebook (after a long-time refusal on principle - i spend enough time messing around as it is!).
The problem with Facebook is that it's exactly my cup of tea, and very, very addictive. Gotta hand it to them though, their photo-sharing app actually beats Picasa (!). And I've managed to look up quite a few old school friends I've lost touch with. Well OK. It's Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's what, please.

Les visiteurs du monde

free counters

Feel free to leave a comment just about anywhere. Carry on.