28/05/2007

Concessions of a cocktail improvisationalist


One thing I rarely do - because the opportunity seldom pops up - is go to cocktail parties. But this was changed on May 26th...

Recent discovery: I didn't know this, but I appear to have a talent for making drinkable cocktails using frighteningly unorthodox ingredients (which is admittedly how I cook and bake, too...)


(Not one of my creations, but this was one joyful cocktail!)

So without going into the particulars of how they came about , here are 3 drinks I invented (quite haphazardly, but still) at Olga's cocktail party. Oh, by the way - I don't believe in measurements. I believe in 'avsmakning', a swedish word meaning 'tasting and modifying as you go along'. Which probably accounts for the state I was in when returning home. Right said Fred, No more said. ;)
________________________________________

OLGA - named after the illustrious hostess in the smoky grey dress who throws great parties with fun people.
Description: Black drinks are the bomb. OK? Has a non-negotiable element of licorice, with a citrus zing that tells you what's what. Like Olga can.
In a tumbler:
  • 1 part Koskenkorva salmiakki (finnish licorice shot)
  • 1 dash Cointreau
  • 1 bigger dash Lemon Vodka
  • A generous slosh of ginger ale
  • juice from 1/2 lime, squashed with no nonsense and a firm hand
Assemble in the order above, finishing with the lime. Tastes surprisingly good in combination with green olives! I strongly recommend this combination, at least for the brave...
_______________
ANASTASIA - Named thus for want of another name.
Description: A so-called coffee drink. Warm, chocolatey, and surprisingly fruity. She don't look so good, but such is life - not all warm personalities do.

In a high glass:
  • Half a glass of hot coffee
  • ~12 non-stop chocolate candies (swedish equivalent of smarties, but better)
  • 1 dash Cointreau
  • 1 dash ginger ale
  • juice from 1/2 lime
Stir the candies in the coffee until they melt. Never mind that they look like egg shells at the bottom of the glass... Then add the citrusy stuff. Not too much ginger ale this time.
_______________
ULF - Oskar presented me with four sprigs of fresh thyme, and a challenge to create a 'manly' cocktail. In a fit of over-confidence I replied, "Oh yeah? When I get back, I'm handing over an... Ulf!", since that was the manliest name that popped into mind. To everyone's mild surprise, I returned with quite a gentleman.
Description: "Ulf is always more sophisticated than you think." Amber, with an aloof character. Looks at his most suave relaxing at the bottom of a cognac glass. The sprigs of fresh thyme tell you that Ulf has no qualms about his metrosexual appearance.

In a cognac glass:
  • 1 part lemon vodka, just enough to soak...
  • ... 1 bag of yellow label tea (or earl grey)
  • 4 sprigs of fresh thyme, preferably in bloom
  • 1 part ginger ale (easy on the bubbles)
  • squeeze in 1/4 Fresh lime (discreetly, like you're adjusting your cuff links).
Prepare the bottom of the glass with lemon vodka, then take the tea bag for a spin until you reach the desired manly tone of amber. Dismiss the teabag, and flick in the thyme sprigs. Douse them in Ginger ale and top off with the lime. Ulf is a minimalist, so he should be occupying about 1/4 of the cognac glass when ready._______________

Honestly, just taste as you go along. But remember the swedish saying 'Varannan vatten'. And do inform me of any improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's what, please.

Les visiteurs du monde

free counters

Feel free to leave a comment just about anywhere. Carry on.