I need something to live up to, because the thought scares me that the world might fill up with people who still think they can be kids forever in order to never have to live up to expectations.
So I'll make my own.
**********
MANIFESTO OF GROWING UP
- I will not be afraid of calling myself an adult. I will use the word. I am 28 years old, not afraid my age (or 29, or 30, or 64 for that matter), and determined to define for myself what acting my age means, gradually.
- I will take on responsibilities and challenges that I think I am ready for. And be adult enough to admit when I'm not.
- (This isn't new) I will live and act in a way that I would accept from my own children.
- I will admit I'm wrong as soon as I know it. (I'd better.)
- I will acknowledge that the big things take time, and that small steps forward are just as valuable as huge leaps.
- I will give my all AND be wise enough to rest.
- I will not stop having fun, adventures, disproportionate enthusiasm or believing I can change.
- I refuse to be afraid of hard work.
- I will not live in the shadow of my past; I will climb on its branches.
- I will try to love and give attention to both details and the eternity perspective.
- I will not assume that I'll live forever or die tomorrow but imagine my life as if both were possible.
- I will boost and encourage whomever I can whenever I can, because I'm here now and I can.
- I will stand for my gut feeling of right and wrong.
- I will recognize that I am free, and build the courage to use that freedom wisely.
- I will say hello rather than keep quiet.
- I will ask instead of assume.
- I will stop hurting myself. Nobody should do that to me.
- I will keep myself healthy and at ease in my body, and remember that the one I have is IT and the only one I'll get.
- I will try to define my insecurities as an expectations I think I ought to live up to, figure out whose expectations they are, and decide from there whether it's important or not.
- I will recognize the answer 'I don't know' as a sign that it's time to learn something new.
- I will remember that opening up to new thoughts takes time, and that I cannot expect it of anyone just because I happen to be ready.
- I want to grow old gracefully.
- I will try to remember that I communicate in my way, and others in other ways. But that doesn't mean I should stop trying my way.
- I will remember that happiness comes in all shapes, sizes and time durations, and that all those moments - even the lowest of puns - are valuable if I appreciate them.
- I will have to stop being ageist in order to live up to this. I will remind myself that No age is more important than another.
- I will add to this list and never be afraid of being a work in progress.
- Sure. Let's go.
I wish I could write up a manifesto.. but I'm too lazy.. *ahem*
ReplyDelete