09/09/2008

Thanks to Popper and Christina

"The process of learning consists largely (...) in the elimination of certain [disappointed] expectations."

(I'm reading the essay "The Bucket and the Searchlight" by Karl Popper, in his book Objective Knowledge.)

For some reason the quote above echoed a conversation I had this weekend with one of the girls at Anna's bridal shower* who said something like:

"I'm so glad I've stopped playing games. The reason why my boyfriend and I have succeeded is that we were both out of relationhips when we met and were both NOT interested in a new one when we met, so we never played games and were up-front about pretty much everything- so now that we've admitted to both having feelings, we can tell acts of consideration from what we respectively really want."

Wow. This girl's 24. Lucky her to have learned that already.

All the same, I can't complain myself, seeing as she taught me something.

Gotta watch for those expectations, in general.

==============

* (not sure if that translates properly the concept of a swedish 'möhippa', but it involves kidnapping the bride, putting her through all sorts of enjoyable surprise challenges and activities during a whole day, and generally having a girls' night out afterwards.)

{EDIT: Thanks, Nico. Yes, I do mean bachelorette party. Why that term escaped me I shall never know...}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's what, please.

Les visiteurs du monde

free counters

Feel free to leave a comment just about anywhere. Carry on.