Until a couple of years ago we didn't even have a National day (i.e. an equivalent to 4th of July for you 'mericans or 17th of May for Norwegians, for instance). Having not partaken in World War II or fought our way to freedom in any remarkable way during our history, we honestly don't know what the occasion is.
As the day itself (6th of June) falls pretty close to the hitherto inofficial national day (Midsummer's Eve), we lack traditions to celebrate the event (save the standard Swedish celebratory summer activities of bathing/grilling/being outdoors/getting plastered).
However. I have the great fortune of having close friends, who, when confronted with this imposed holiday, choose to spend an evening in an abandoned stone quarry and on the spur of the moment use piles of wood blocks (that happened to be there) to create an impromptu sculpture exhibit.




Thanks D, E and L for a magical evening. :) I HOPE this will become a tradition.



sometimes people don't believe me that Sweden is way cooler than other countries but now I have evidence! mauahaha!
ReplyDelete