19/08/2009

A vacation well spent...

...coming back to my family, my friends and my love. Feeling at home.

...being present at the dignified and inspiring wedding between my dad´s oldest sister and her love of one year. Love, backed up by a life lived, knows what it's doing.

...experiencing the calming freshness of the old seaside village of Vitemölla and its breaking waves. Playing tag in them.

...paying The Sea numerous visits and making up for a lost summer´s worth of immersion in cooling salt water. Responding to its touch with powerful strokes and leaving it to dry in my hair.

...eating good, drawn-out breakfasts every day in very good company. Those with just the two of us were always excellent.

...pulling the same old jokes with my little brother, who is certainly not so little anymore. But with each other, we're still two kids.

...finding that my friends are game to meet up at the drop of a hat, as if it wasn't a big deal. Thus making every encounter feel like I was back in their life.

...taking photos (well, just one) of my favourite boy when he was asleep. Or tracing his features over and over with my fingertip or nose.

...coming to my third Way Out West music festival in a row, as if this Canada thing couldn't stop me anyhow. Dancing like a mad kangaroo (in rainboots) to Basement Jaxx.

...visiting the familiar places, tasting the familiar flavours, hearing to the familiar sounds. Loving them all the more for having missed them, and appreciating them all the more for knowing I can't have them when I leave again.

...bringing some things I've missed back with me. And delightedly scheming to later bring some people I've missed back to me.*

... coming back, feeling like I did my vacation right. Now filled with a sense of purposefulness and feeling rested.

......So it's all good. :)



* Ironically, this will probably mean that a camera lens that I bought for D. here in Toronto will be travelling across the Atlantic 3 times in its first year of ownership... That's one well-traveled piece of optics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's what, please.

Les visiteurs du monde

free counters

Feel free to leave a comment just about anywhere. Carry on.