16/01/2009

BLind writing (a Friday experiment)

I was always chasing mistakes when I was a kid. I could, up until the age of say 17-ish, physically feel when I'd made a spelling mistake when typing. And couldn't let it rest, I always had to correst it.

I know full well that I have lost this habit. You have to let some time-eaters go as you grow up (or, have to, one chooses to, doesn't one?).

But as an experiment, I'm writing this with the text window hidden. I don't want to see until afterwards how I'm doing, although the writing process becomes much more linear than usual. Not being able to see what I've written makes me unable to do the usual, i.e. go back and add something here, delete something there... I have to do the whole thing in a linear fashion, and honestly the thing that's scaring me a bit right now is that I can't remember what I wrote one sentence ago. This is aas close to a stream of consciousness as I've been for a long time.


Oops, I felt just now that I hit the delete button instead of the return button.

I'll keep all the spelling mistakes when I publish this post.

I remembver doing a signature analysis (graphology) test at an amusement park when I was twelve. I was informed by the machine that I was creative, stubborn and careless (among other things).

I wonder if if the fact that those three qualities are what I remember should be indicative. They have stayed with me and probably evolved to a pretty powerful level compared to my 12-year old self.

But I also remember that I didn't like hearing (at age 12) that I was careless. It wasn't what I wanted to be (or should I say, hear?).

I can admit today that SOMETIMES I'm careless. OK, pretty often. I get away with it mmore often than I don't.

And now I'm really curious to see how this post looks, because I haven't seen it since I started writing.

But I still have the handicap that I can't type without looking at the keyts.

Maybe registering every key visually is the reason why my short-term memory is so fragmentary.

This has been an experiment.

(After which I should get back to work).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's what, please.

Les visiteurs du monde

free counters

Feel free to leave a comment just about anywhere. Carry on.